The Recipe: Spiced Root Vegetable Soup
Warm your cockles with this spiced take on the more traditional hearty root veggie soup that is a mainstay in British diets at this chilly time of year…
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 sweet potatoes, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 parsnips, chopped
1 red chilli, roughly chopped
1 tbsp ground cumin
75g dried green lentils
1.3L vegetable stock
100g Greek yogurt
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and fry for 5 mins until softened.
- Tip in the remaining veg and cook for another 5 mins, adding the chilli and cumin for final 2 mins.
- Add the lentils and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 mins until veg are tender and lentils are soft.
- Blitz until smooth with the milk and a little extra water or stock, if necessary.
- Season, then reheat until piping hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped coriander.