Spiced Potato Salad
An exciting twist on the British BBQ staple… lightly spiced but totally delicious, this can be made a few hours ahead and kept in the fridge (just make sure to serve at room temperature)
750g baby new potatoes
2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
5 radishes, trimmed and finely sliced
For the dressing
6 tbsp. olive oil
5 tbsp. lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, crushed into a paste
100ml good-quality mayonnaise
2 tsp. vegetable oil
¾ tsp. nigella or mustard seeds
½ tsp. each cumin and fennel seeds
- Bring the potatoes to the boil in a large pan of salted water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic paste and mayonnaise. Season to taste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small pan, tilting so the oil collects in one area. Add the seeds and, when they start to pop, remove from the heat. Leave for 10 seconds then pour it all into the garlic dressing. Whisk well.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and, if you like, when cool enough to handle, peel them. Halve or quarter, depending on their size.
- Tip potatoes into the dressing, along with the spring onions and radishes, and mix well. The potatoes will absorb the dressing as they cool. Season to taste.