The Recipe: Quick and Easy Hot Dogs
A great idea for a quick and easy dinner is always hot dogs. Perfect for those chilly autumn evenings where you want to curl up on the sofa ASAP. There are two recipes below, both have an option to make either vegetarian or vegan friendly.
Veggie Tempura Hot Dogs
Adding spiced mayo, spring onions and peanuts gives an Asian-twist that you’ll be adding to your regular meat version too. Make it vegan friendly by swapping out for alternative mayo, bread buns and lager.
3 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp chilli jam
4 hot dog buns
500ml oil, for frying
30g plain flour
80ml cold lager
300g mixed vegetables (we used courgette, aubergine and red pepper), cut into chunks
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp salted peanuts roughly chopped
- Mix the mayo with the chilli jam and set aside.
- Split the buns in half and get everything else ready.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until 180C or until a little piece of veg browns in 20 secs.
- Line a baking tray with kitchen paper, then whisk together the flours and beer with a good pinch of seasoning.
- Working in batches, spoon the veg pieces into the batter, toss to coat, then fry until golden brown and crisp for about 2-3 mins.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on the kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt.
- Repeat the process until all the veg is fried.
- Divide the tempura veg between the buns, drizzle over some mayo, then top with the spring onions and peanuts.
Honey Mustard Hot Dogs
This recipe elevates the typical squeezy mustard topping on your hot dog to something a bit more special. Make it vegetarian by switching out the sausages with your favourite veggie sausage.
50g Emmental, grated
50g cheddar, grated
3 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp honey
4 brioche hot dog buns
- Combine the Emmental, cheddar, mustard and honey.
- Cook the sausages following pack instructions.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Split the hot dog buns, fill each with a sausage and top with the cheese mixture.
- Put the hot dogs onto a baking sheet and grill for 1-2 mins or until the cheese has melted.