The Recipe: Cheesy Bonfire Bread
200g wholemeal flour
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. caster sugar
25g butter, melted
300ml milk, at room temperature
175g cheddar, coarsely grated
3 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
85g ready-roasted pepper from a jar, drained and chopped
1 . Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a large well in the middle.
3. Combine the melted butter and milk, then pour into the well. Mix to a soft dough.
4. Dust the work surface with flour. Add most of the cheddar, 2 tbsp. of the pumpkin seeds and the chopped peppers to the dough. Gently knead to combine on the floured surface.
5. Divide into 8 lumps and shape into rough rounds two finger-widths deep.
6. Place the pieces side by side on a floured baking sheet, scatter the remaining cheddar and pumpkin seeds over the top and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
7. Cool on a wire rack and eat while warm. The bread can be frozen at this point.
8. To reheat, wrap the bread tightly in foil and bake at 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for about 30 minutes.