The Recipe: Bonfire Night Baked Tatties
4 medium baking potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion finely sliced
6 slices smoked streaky bacon, chopped
2 tbsp double cream
200g mixed good melting cheese, such as reblochon, raclette or gruyere
chopped parsley to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6
- Prick the potatoes all over with a fork, then rub with half the oil, some sea salt and black pepper. Arrange on a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 1 hour 15 mins, until their skins are crisp, and they are completely tender when prodded.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil and half the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and gently cook for 15-20 mins until softened and golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped bacon to the pan and fry until just crisp. Remove using a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper.
- Halve each potato lengthways then scoop out most of the potato into a bowl, leaving a potato skin shell with a thin layer of potato.
- In the bowl, crush the potato with the remaining butter and the double cream. Season with salt and pepper. Fold through the onion, bacon, three-quarters of the cheeses and half the parsley.
- Spoon back into the potato shells and top with the remaining cheese.
- Transfer to the baking tray and return to the oven for 10-15 mins, until melting and golden.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve with a sharply dressed crisp salad.