The Recipe: Blueberry & Lemon Croissant Bake
National Croissant Day on 30th January is obviously the perfect excuse to get creative with the French delicacy. Eaten as breakfast on the continent, we Brits tend to have it as a mid-morning snack… this recipe elevates the humble croissant to full-blown dessert level. And don’t worry, you can use store bought croissants if your pastry skills aren’t quite up to scratch!
6 large croissants (leftover stale croissants work well)
500g ready-made custard
250ml whole milk
150g lemon curd
250g fresh or frozen blueberries
icing sugar, to serve (optional)
- Cut each of the croissants in half, then arrange them roughly, overlapping them slightly, in a deep medium baking dish about 20 x 20cm.
- Pour the custard into a small saucepan and whisk in the milk.
- Warm over a low heat for 3 mins or until just starting to steam.
- Whisk through half the lemon curd.
- Pour the custard over and around the croissants, then set aside for 30 mins-1 hr for the croissants to absorb some of the custard.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 4.
- Nestle the blueberries around the croissants and dollop over teaspoons of the remaining lemon curd.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until the top is golden brown.
- Rest for 10 mins before dusting with icing sugar, if you like.